Christa McAuliffe Middle School Music Department
Weekly Update 3/23-3/27:
I hope that we are all staying safe and healthy as the world works through this global pandemic. I'd also like to let my students know that I miss you very much and look forward to seeing you when this is all done. If you ever need anything, please feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or through Google Classroom. I certainly miss the band room and working with you each day. This is a truly one of a kind program, and it will endure!
This being said, we don't know when we will be back to school physically. As such, I have made plans to get us through the end of the year should this be necessary. We will begin offering instruction on March 31st. Here is what you'll need to know heading into next week:
1. We are going to be communicating through Google Classroom. Here are the codes:
2. For band and orchestra, we will be using an online resource called "smartmusic". Links to get on will be posted in the classroom. Similarly, we will be using musictheory.net and doing some listening reflections. Finally, I will be recording some conducting videos to use for recording a virtual album. More details will be released on Google Classroom.
3. For choir, we will be doing songwriting through the end of the year alongside other singing assignments. Collaborative songwriting online is a very common practice in today's music industry. Instructions will be posted in Google Classroom.
4. I will be offering office hours every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3-5 PM. These will be held via Zoom, a video conferencing app/website. If you have any questions, want to get some feedback on your playing, or simply want to say hi, please join me. Again, details will be posted in Google Classroom.
5. Wind Ensemble and Advanced Orchestra auditions are cancelled; students will be accepted via teacher recommendation.
Finally, I'd like it to be known that the instruction we are offering is optional and will not be graded. I am going to provide feedback and I am happy to assist you with anything you need. With all of the uncertainty of these times, one thing that remains true is the power of music. Now is when the world needs it the most, so keep playing, keep creating and keep offering the wonderful gifts you have.
I hope you are well and I will hear from you soon. I miss you all!
Music Room Schedule/Hours
Office Hours are Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3-5 PM on Zoom
Get on Google Classroom, stay safe and relax.